Ashley Forest Access Permits
Ashley Forest is a private forest managed by Rayonier Matariki. The North Canterbury Cycle Club has organised access by permit ONLY. The forest permit tag allows cycling access on their private forest roads in Ashley, Okuku and Mt Thomas forests, as well as on the club built single tracks in Ashley Forest. NCCC is constantly developing trails within Ashley Forest. Currently there is approximately 9 km of green & blue trails within the forest.
By being a NCCC club member and Forest Permit Holder, you get weekly reports on forest access including any road closures, dangers or events that may impact access. The Forest Permit Tag expires at the end of August every year along with your club membership and public liability insurance cover.
Monday to Friday - 5pm to midnight
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays - dawn to midnight
Strictly no access outside of these hours
- Display your tag when riding in the forests. Attach to handle bars, bag, helmet or under the seat.
- No access is permitted when fire danger is high or extreme.
- Access and Closed Areas must be checked via club sources and your email.
- All Permit Tag holders must be current financial members of North Canterbury Cycling Club and abide by the conditions of membership
- Riders must abide by club rules and notified entry areas
- Any breaches may result in termination of membership
- The tag remains the property of NCCI and must be returned if you resign or your membership lapses
- Access is for tag holder and a maximum of 5 guests who must stay with the tag holder
- Tags holders are responsible for the safety and actions of their guests
- All tag holders and their guests enter the forests at their own risk
- Tag holders and their guests must abide by the MTB code
- Access is for cycling only - Take nothing out - Leave only sweat
- No smoking, hunting or activity other than cycling is permitted
- Keep left at all times and expect to see trucks, dogs and hunters
- Riders must be conspicuous, wear bright clothing
- Riders are responsible to report any suspicious or hazardous activities immediately on 027 480 9279. Report fires to 111.
- Permit holders agree to discuss access rules with other cyclists
- Junior riders under 12 must be accompanied at all times by an adult who is a permit holder.
- No unauthorized track building, doing so could jeopardize future access for all members. If you would like to be involved with track building, please contact us